|Image 1: traffic to Flickr based on live event coverage|
This is Part 1 of my "how to" make it happen for your site.
- Prior to the event:
- Make sure your event has a hashtag / #tag. Help circulate that #tag by using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
- Start monitoring and engaging (I use a combination of Hootsuite and SayZu to get a handle on what's being said and by whom)
- Create a pre-event blog post about the event, why you're attending, what you'll be doing, and how others can follow the event #tag – and you, ie. provide the various channels/networks you'll be using to live event report (you have a blog, right?).
- At the event:
- Photographs are key. Create a consistent workflow that allows others to find and engage with (RT, MT, comment on, like, etc) your images. For example, I post to Flickr and use the Flickr app to post to Twitter. Then I post to Instagram and use it to post to Facebook. Curious about why I split my workflow like this? Ask me via Twitter.
- Continue to monitor the #tag and engage with others who are posting.
- If possible, find others who are posting and take photographs and post about them, using their @usernames in every relevant post.
- Avoid "back of head" shots at your event. Emphasize faces, smiles, group shots. Find "celebrities" and have others join them in group shots. Always add relevant tag lines or captions. Repeat.
- After the event:
- Create a follow up post using a service like Storify, follow that up with a post to your blog (you have a blog, right?).
- Tweet and Facebook your blog post URL. Tag anyone who is in the post, or who is keen on the event. Send an email to the organizers and to anyone who you've made contact with over the event.
- Watch your traffic soar.
- Repeat for next event.
Want to grow your event-related ROI? I can helpI've got an "events services" package here. If you're a startup or NGO, ask about special pricing.
You can also send me a message for a free 15 minute consultation, or setup a call via my Clarity.fm advice line. I look forward to helping you grow your business and the success of your events!